It was built from the ground up at the end of the 16th century,
by the master Jacopo de Aggio, for Ottavio Imperiale, on the
corner between two historic public squares, Piazza Campetto and
Piazza Soziglia. In 1588, it was included in the list of the
so-called "Palazzi dei Rolli", destined to host to illustrious
guests who were visiting, what was then, the Republic of Genova.
It was also included in the volume "Palazzi di Genova", written
and illustrated by Pietro Paolo Rubens, and published in 1622.
There is a sculpture of a nymphaeum with Hercules on the ground
floor, created in the second half of the 1600s by the Genovese
sculptor, Filippo Parodi.
The two main floors were decorated with frescoes between the
middle of the 1600s and the 1700s by influential painters such as
Domenico Piola, Domenico Guidobono, Giacomo Antonio Boni,
Francesco Maria Schiaffino, Marco Sacconi, Andrea Leoncino, and
At the beginning of the 17th century, it was acquired by Ottavio
Sauli, and then owned for two centuries by the Mari family who
sold it the Casareto family. Since 1989, it has been owned by a
company which redeveloped it for office, residential and
It was given the name "DEL MELOGRANO" (POMEGRANATE) in honour of
a pomegranate bush which, for almost 2 centuries, grew above the
gable of the classic portal.
The building was given listed status, in recognition of its
internal and external artistic-historical features, by the Ministry
for Cultural Heritage and activities in 1942.