Palazzo Doria del Gigante
The building takes its name from the statue, sculpted by Marcello
Sparzo at the end of the 1600s, which stands in the garden overlooking
the sea. Vasari spoke of the fresco decorations by Perin del Vaga,
however the works had been redone in the 1800s, then destroyed over
the course of the 2 world wars.
Constructed at the beginning of the 1500s, following the typical
layout of Genovese villas, it is characterised by the exceptional
double open galleries. Of significant importance is the exterior
marble portal, with its coat of arms, created by a Genovese workshop
from the era when the building was constructed.
It first belonged to Giannetto Doria, then was expanded by Giovanni
Andrea Doria and used as a residence until the end of the 1800s,
when it was used as the site of the State Archives. In the 1970s,
it was purchased by a private company which still owns it to this
day, and is leased as public offices.
The building was given listed status, in recognition of its internal
and external artistic-historical features, by the Ministry for
Cultural Heritage and activities in 1932.