The building is part of the "terraces" of Piazza Caricamento which
faces the area of Porto Antico, and the aquarium.
The current layout of Palazzo Fabiani derives from the harmonious
unification of several buildings constructed over different eras,
starting from the 1300s and slowly modified over time, as evidenced
in 1588 from the "list of Rolli". The most important additions were
realised in the 1500s, above all in the state rooms with their
elegant and refined frescoes, plasterwork and gildings.
Records from 1614 already listed the building as 3 Via al Ponte
Calvi, and it assumed its current layout from 1622 to 1682, based
on the design by Bartolomeo Bianco.
Several historic Genovese families have owned the property, a list
which includes the names Calvi, Cattaneo, Pallavicini and Fabiani.
In 1987, it was acquired by the company which owns the property
today. Important structural and architectural renovations,
necessary after almost half a century of abandonment, were carried
out and the building was redeveloped for office, residential and
The building was given listed status, in recognition of its
internal and external artistic-historical features, by the Ministry
for Cultural Heritage and activities in 1913.